Our school has created opportunities for various forms of communication, and all with impressive results. Since students studying in the Department of Applied English have advantages in English, they have more opportunities to participate in student exchange programs every year. The programs allow them to learn English from daily life situations expand their vision and establish global viewpoints.
In order to enhance students’ motivation and interests, the Applied English Department is also actively promoting different kinds of extra-curricular activities to provide students with practical training/internship opportunities.
- Encourage both undergraduate and graduate students to participate in international seminars and conferences. For example, we encourage students to present or publish research papers in the International Conference and Workshop on TEFL & Applied Linguistics held annually by our department. We also arrange for students to receive scholars or professionals from different fields to build up their experiences.
- In response to the resource sharing policy in Taoyuan County, our Department has provided a variety of services to the community, primary and secondary schools. These services include the One-day English Tour project, English Winter Camp, Bilingual Environmental Design, After-school English Counseling, Workshop for Teachers, etc. So far we have worked with Hsing Fu Elementary School, Guishan Elementary School, Chung Hu Elementary School, Yong Ji Elementary School, Fuyuan Elementary School, Dagang Elementary School, WuChang Junior High School and Dacheng Junior High School.
- Each year, we encourage students to participate in overseas study tour programs, so we arrange the Intensive Academic English Program regularly. We have collaborations with many outstanding universities such as Northumbria University in the UK, Westerns Sydney University in the Australia, Tottori University in Japan, etc.
- We explore the agreement and contradiction between English learning and language education theory in Taiwan while looking for solutions to various problems and strategies for them.
- To seize the present and foresee the future, cultivate professional English trainers, and provide manpower to enterprises, we investigate the current status and market needs about the respective levels of English education and human resources in business English.
* Elementary, junior high, or high school teacher
* Translator or interpreter
* Designer for English courses or teaching material
* Business manager
* Professional in business English
Following the philosophy of the Founder, Dr. Pao, and the President, Dr. Lee, in establishing an academic institution, Applied English Department at Ming Chuan University was established in 1993 to promote and undertake scholarly research in sciences and humanities while putting theory into practice. Later, the Graduate School of Applied English was found in 2001, and the night program of Applied English Graduate School was established in 2008. Our goal is to train TESOL and ESP professionals in research and practice, with the following objectives.
- To pursue excellence in academic quality, teaching and research are both our top priorities. We recruit professional teachers, promote international cooperation and scholarly exchange, in order to cultivate an intellectual environment that is conducive to nurturing high-quality teaching and research for our faculty and students.
- To enhance professional knowledge, our school offers learning opportunities for students to put theory into practice in different contexts.
- All courses are based on the objectives and goals designated by the Department, Institute, including Research Method, TESL, ESP, and so on.
- The graduation requirement is establish to ensure our students' competencies.
- All courses are instructed in English.
- A class advisor and a thesis advisor assist each student with their life and studies, respectively.
Our program emphasizes the proficiency in the English language and provides students with the professional knowledge and skills that are related to their chosen fields.
All courses are conducted in English, students are immersed in a 100-percent English-speaking environment, where they can enhance their speaking and listening comprehension skills, to ensure the fluency and comfort of using the English language.