i. Course Selection Time
(1) Initial Selection: From December 18, 12:30 pm. Selection is conducted in stages according to study year.
(2) Adding and dropping of initial selections: From January 2, 12:30 pm to January 4, 16:00 pm.
(3) Spring transfer student course selection (New student): The online Initial Course Selection will be on February 22, between 13:30 and 16:00. The online adding and dropping courses will begin from 12:30 pm on February 26 through 12:30 pm on March 7.
(4) Adding and dropping courses: From February 26, 12:30 pm to March 7, 12:30 pm. Selection is conducted in stages. For details concerning time and place, please see Schedule for Course Selection and Fee Adjustments.
(5) Students who do not plan to take required courses or who have waived courses that are not yet deleted, or students who have selected a year-long elective, but don’t want to take the second semester of the course must first obtain their department director’s approval, then go to the Curriculum Section (or Taoyuan Campus Academic Affairs Section) December 18-28 to have the course deleted.
(6) Students who wish to change the period for taking a required course, or wish to select minor, double-major or pre-graduate courses, must get permission from the department director, and then go to the Curriculum Section (or Taoyuan Campus Academic Affairs Section) to have this data entered from February 22, 8:30 to 11:30 am.
(7) For changes in course selection which result from cancelled courses or courses divided into different class sections, students must go to the Curriculum Section (or the Taoyuan Campus Academic Affairs Section) to correct their course selection information on March 22-23. No application for correction will be accepted for any reason after March 23.
(8) Confirm the selected courses: From March 19 to March 29. Students who do not confirm the selected courses before the deadline will be regarded as accepting the selected courses.
(9)The Cloud Course Selection Agency System key in:
1 Initial selections: From December 12, 12:30 pm until 17:00, the day prior to the online course selection.
2 Adding and dropping of initial selections: From February 5, 12:30 pm until 17:00, the day prior to the online course selection.
Spring transfer student：From February 6, 12:30 pm until 17:00, the day prior to the online course selection.
ii. Course Selection Notes
(1) Generally, students are limited to 25 credits per semester. The minimum course load for freshmen, sophomores and juniors is 12 credits, for seniors 9 credits, and for graduate students at least one course.
(2) The maximum enrollment for a course is according to the largest capacity of the classroom, except for Japanese courses, which are limited to 60 students. The minimum enrollment required to open a course is 30 students for General Education and Core Required courses. Physical Education electives require a minimum of 30 students.
(3) No request to add will be approved if the class is full.
(4) In order to guarantee the rights of students in the department through which the course is 2 being offered, when initially selecting courses, students may only select courses from their home department. The computer will automatically cancel the course selection of students who do not follow this rule. Students who have taken an elective in another department, or taken an online course (Accounting , Economics, Calculus, or Statistics) and need to retake such a course must add this course during the Add/Drop period.
(5) The students registering for sophomores and junior Physical Education need to select from the courses listed by the Physical Education Office. Students cannot select a course for which they have already earned credit. Overseas Chinese and School Sports Team classes are only provided for overseas and school sports team students.
(6) Physical Education is an Elective for fourth-year students. Students may only choose one course per semester. If students select more than one, the system will automatically randomly delete extras.
(7) However, students whose previous semester grade average was 80 or higher may select an additional one or two courses. A student must first have the department director’s permission, and then go to the Curriculum Section (or Taoyuan Campus Academic Affairs Section) during the Add/Drop period to add a course.
(8) Students can select a maximum of three General Education Courses (including Distance Courses) during Initial Selection. If students select more than three courses, the system will automatically randomly delete extras.
(9) Students are required to take at least 12 credit hours of General Education courses. There are three disciplines within General Education – Humanities, Social Science and Natural Science. The courses under each discipline are categorized into “Core Courses” and “Extended Courses.” To meet the graduation requirements, students are required to take at least one 2-credit-hour course in each category of each of the disciplines.
(10) Students may only select one section of the same course. If students select more than one section, the system will automatically randomly delete any extras. Students who are not in the graduating class cannot choose courses for graduating students. Undergraduate students select graduate school course must have the department/school permission.
(11) Students who select English or Japanese language courses will be charged the lab fee. Tuition fees for Teacher Education Program are charged separately. Beginning with those enrolled in the 2009-10 academic year, students will be charged the Internet resources fee. Those who were enrolled prior to the 2009-10 academic year and take computer related courses will be charged the lab fee. Focused Course Program students must pay extra tuition fees.
(12) Students are not permitted to drop courses required by their department. According to the Procedures for Course Selection, students are not allowed to choose different courses in the same time period.
(13) Any student who does not pay tuition and fees by the deadline may not add/drop courses.
(14) Data for the full academic year elective courses will be directly transferred to the second semester. (Re-selection is not permitted.) Only those who drop this type of elective courses need to drop the course during the Open Add/Drop period.
(15) Selection, grading, and attendance for Simultaneous and Non-simultaneous Distance Education Courses will be conducted in accordance with relevant regulations. After selecting a Distance Education Course, students need to log on to the Moodle system to view the courses and relevant regulations. In regard to earning a degree, credits earned through Distance Education Courses may not account for more than half of the credits toward graduation. 3
(16) If the course section students wish to select is full, they may consider being put on the waiting list. If another student drops the course, students will be added in the order of the list. If students are on the waiting list for a class, and decide not to wait for a position in this class, they are asked to immediately go online and delete their names from the list. Those with a schedule conflict or who has already selected over 25 credits cannot be put on a waiting list. Once the add/drop period is over, no automatic additions are permitted.
(17) When selecting courses, students are strictly forbidden to use external software programs that disrupt the course selection function in any way. Violators will be punished in accordance with the Student Merit and Demerit Procedures.
(18) Students are asked to protect their passwords to prevent tampering with course selection records.
(19) Students are responsible for confirming the results of their course selections within the given time. After selecting courses, students must print out the course selection record then log out of the Student System, return to the main screen and close the browser.
(20) For other issues related to course selection, please refer to the General Provisions for Study and Procedures for Course Selection in the Student Handbook.
iii. Add/Drop Additional (Refund) Fees
(1) Additional Fees: Student should print out the additional fees statement, and pay at any branch of the Taipei Fubon Bank, pay at a convenience store, or do an ATM transfer. Payment period: Deadline is April 23, 2018. Students who fail to pay the required fees prior to the deadline will be dealt in accordance to the Procedures for Course Selection.
(2) Refund of Fees: Refunds will be automatically transferred to the student’s bank account. Prior to April 16, 2018 students are required to enter bank account information online via the Student Information Network, and select Student Payment Bank Account Information. From April 23, 2018 students can check their accounts to ensure that the refund has been deposited.
2017-18 Spring Semester On-Line Course Selection Handbook